Friday 20 November 2009

Word Wounds

It's the 20th of November.
I should be with 40 000 words on each of the books.
I'm with 38 000 and something on Nume and 31 000 on The Lost Years.
I can't seem to dodge that 11 000 backlog...
In any case, tomorrow I will be working but coming home early and sunday I'm gonna plough through the dictionary like a fever running wild...

But things are looking good. Preston Nume has managed to survive yet another trial (though he's got a few scars to show for it) but, even though he's getting ready for the next lot (he knew as soon as he got on that island that they had it in for him) he's not really expecting what's gonna hit him next...

Meanwhile in Egypt, Jesus and his two companions are finding out some of the awful and beautiful truths in the former land of the Pharaohs.

I've been tempted to just focus on one of the books, finish it off and then come back and finish the other one but... i feel that there's something to gain from moving from one story to the other. What I've been doing is more or less writing out all the sequences that I had planned out. When I hit a point where I don't really know how to move forward, I jump on the other wagon and see what I can do there.

But this has been a very different NaNoWriMo. Not just because of writing two books in parallel, or doing some research for them, but mainly because i have been writing the chapters in more or less the order they'll stay for the final version.
(I say this now...)
(who knows what's gonna happen when revision happens...)

Anyway, just a quick update.
And I've just realised that I haven't updated my NaNoWriMo webpage since the first day... shame...

Thanks for staying tuned...
(and happy writings for all of you!)

Peace

2 comments:

Vanda said...

dear being.....
can you explain me why you go for counting words? is that your happyness counter?

if you have so much inside..... why do you still strugle so much for it to come out with such a hurry? and why do you still have doubts that you have it all inside?

do you believe you can attract things just by visioning them?

how does your body feel with all these targets?

you are a genious =)

you don't have to prove anything to the world...

Love *

Nimur said...

Hey hon!
Counting words is just another way of getting out of the self judging box and a great exercise to get the creative juices flowing!
(so no... word count does not equate happiness count...)
the struggle is really to stop judging myself and what comes out at every step of the way. This whole process is actually a device to get into a different state of being, one that is freer and more fluid. A bit like doing meditation - but with a keyboard...

I don't have doubts about what I have inside but intensity is a part of me and a part of my path... at least for now!

Actually, writing is a bit like visualizing. You have the idea and then, as you write, it starts to grow and mutate and acquire new shapes and meanings.

My body sometimes feels tired but others it feels energised. In fact this last month was quite interesting in respects to this because I realised more fully how the body and the mind mimic one another. That is, the themes and situations that I was writing about kind of corresponded with stuff that was happening in my personal and work life. As if the dramas mirrored one another. Part of that I used in the writing itself, in a conscious way, but the most interesting was to see it happening spontaneously.

So, I don't think I'm trying to prove myself. I just want to do a lot of stuff! And I feel I can still open a lot of doorways. Going full throttle for a month just helps this sort of stuff to happen more easily. A bit like going on a retreat really.

Anyway, the struggle is only there because it is also fun!

Love & peace