Wednesday 23 December 2009

Coincidences Remixed

Weeks have slipped by and I kept meaning to post the last few short stories for that New Scientist competition but I just kept postponing it and postponing it and postponing it...

Well... no more!

COINCIDENCES REMIXED
(300 word count)
Heading home? Already?!

Yeah man… boss been giving me a hard time… you know how it is… too much work and no time to do it… I’m just gonna head home and chill watching a movie…

Alright. I’m feeling a bit tired myself. I think I’m gonna do the same…

Oh yeah? What are you gonna watch?

Oh… I don’t know… maybe Casablanca. It’s been a while, you know?

For real?! That’s what I’m gonna watch! What a coincidence! I’m such a fan of that classic, you know? With whom playing?

Ah… you know… I don’t really know. Maybe with Demi Moore and Shia LaBeouf.

Really? Hmm… funny, never heard about that one… Directed by?

Er… either Woody Allen - in his early, Bananas, phase mind you. Or Fellini. Think 8 and a Half. I want something moving and weird but funny as well. But I’ll probably go with Woody Allen this time.

Right… old school hey?

I guess… How about you?

I’m prefer something a bit more contemporary. You know. Ted Malek. Vicky Stratsmore. Kev Lubin behind the scenes. Nothing fancy.

The action adventure angle, right?

Yeah, you know. I just like to go home and relax with a good punch up… How’re you watching it? Total I-Reality immersion or what? I just can’t get enough of it! It blows me away! Sometimes I’m still in character by the time I log into work!

Yeah… I know what you mean… but man, believe it or not, as soon as I’ve configured all the specs for the film, I’m gonna watch this latest production of mine in pure and simple 3D.

What?! Come on, tell me one thing: you just like to be different from everybody else don’t you?

Hey, what can I say? I’m a traditional kind of guy.
END

This one was written thinking of a cartoony feel. A simple story with a humorous punchline at the end. I just find it funny how what we define as being traditional keeps changing all the time. What is usual is something that stems from the moment. And, since the moments keep changing, so do our references.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!

Peace.

No comments: