Friday 19 December 2008

Our Love To Admire

Yes. It's a rip off from the Interpol album.
But...
just the title!

Actually, this is my least favourite of the Interpol trilogy (so far...)
But I do love the title.
And, when I was writing the story (the initial title was Death At A Funeral - not very inspired, I know), this title just seemed to fit it all too well...

There's a lot of stuff that I like in this story. I like the way the characters are kind of dual. Even the father has his moment. And even Jeff, the main character, the guy who's supposed to know it all, wavers a bit, perhaps not externally, but internally.
As I was writing it, I was missing the subtleties. I wrote a first draft that was below 3000 words but, as soon as I started working on it it started growing. It's now just under 5000. Which is a nice size. I think it has all that the story needs.
Took me two days to re-write it. Which seems like an awful lot of time. Something like 12 hours to do something that only takes a bit over 2 hours to type...

The next phase is to read it out aloud, with a mic plugged to my computer and then see how it sounds. And I'll probably play some guitar as background as well - if it sounds alright.

I've done it before and, since lately I've been writing and playing guitar alternately, it kind of makes sense to put the two together once more. After all my guitar playing naturally divides itself between a "rock song" format and "soundscapes" so, why not use them?

So Land Of Fog and A View Of The Mountain have been on hold during these last few days. My excuse is that I've been running around quite a lot and I needed smaller things to focus on. So, Our Love To Admire and another smaller story (though it's now just above 8000) have been my two pet projects for this last week or so. As soon as they're ready (and I'm thinking tomorow and sunday to finish them off) I'll return to the two biggies...

Don't know if I'll be able to post a couple of mp3 tracks for Our Love To Admire (I'm not the most technical of persons - as you've probably noticed...) in this here blog but it would be fun!

Peace

No comments: