Friday 5 November 2010

Focusing Takes Time

Yesterday was a very productive day. It was one of those days where the writing happens slowly but keeps building some speed throughout the day.

8.30-09, 0.5h - Meditation
09-10, 1h - Food + Wizard Knight
10-10.30, 0.5h - Emails
10.30-11.30, 1h -Lands Of Mist + Royal Mail Claim Form
11.30-120.5h - Guitar playing
12-12.30, 0.5h - Lands Of Mist + Short story
12.30-15, 2.5h - Lands Of Mist
15-16.30, 1.5h - Shopping + Washing
16.30-18, 1.5h - Lands Of Mist
18-19, 1h -Book buying + chat
19-20, 1h - The Hate Bearers Plot + Story + Food
20-23, 3h - The Hate Bearers + Food
23-01.30, 2.5h - FILM - The Blind Side
01.30-02.30, 1h - The Hate Bearers

I wrote quite a bit on both stories and still managed to watch what is now my favourite Sandra Bullock film. The Blind Side. I never thought much of her as an actress but she really comes through on this one. The fact that it's based on a true story helps but, in any case, it's not just her, it's the rest of the cast and it's the script, quite clever, well paced and packing more punches than I'd ever expected.

It felt very good to write some more of The Hate Bearers. My initial intention was to type up most of the stuff I still have scattered around, longhand, in sheets of paper but, as soon as I began typing it, the ideas started flowing and I put the sheets aside and let the story lead me.

In a way I'm trying to have a very different approach to these two stories. In fact something which I think is crucial when writing two books at the same time. Personally I think it's easier if they are different rather than similar. If they're similar one easily tends to repeat things - or at least feel that way. It's easier for things to blur into one another. But, if you're writing a fantastical drama and a sci-fi comedy then you're pretty much safe...

Besides I wanted to have some sense of direction in Lands Of Mist, particularly because I know where it's supposed to end. Whilst in The Hate Bearers, even though I know where it's going to end, I wanted the free floating feeling one has whilst reading much of Kurt Vonnegut's prose and, to a certain extent, Ray Bradbury's. I really want the story to lead this one as much as I am able. And, so far, it's been good fun. A couple of crazy characters have showed up so far and it looks like that most of what I had planned to do may not be necessary at all...

We'll see...

I also read some more of The Wizard Knight which is simply a beautiful book.

And THIS IS what I'm talking about...

Peace!

No comments: