Friday 5 September 2008

Scriptic Mind

Well yesterday was one of those days.
(still don't know exactly what that means, but I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point)
Case in point. I did less than I was expecting but more that I felt I was going to, half way through the day.
Earlier this morning I finished all the changes on THE SHIFT and I'm now writing the last scene of the script. Something that will take last for at least 3 or 4 pages of the comic.
This is quickly becoming the longest comics script (one shot) that I've written.
The scene I'm writing now is when Shahidah (the main character, a little girl - here aged 9 - whose name means Witness) for the first time sees what happened to her family after the explosion that shook the house...
It's not a pretty scene but, in a way, i want to make the tragedy beautiful visually. The text at least is poetic enough even though necessarily dark.
I hope that, as people run through this (one of the) last scene, that they'll be able to look back at the whole story and put it into perspective, realising that so many of the other scenes were not only preparing us in a way for this one, but how this situation reveals Shahidah's destiny. A destiny that is very much clear inside herself during these moments of raw perception. This is why the last image in the book works as the closing of a circle. She is now ready to return to the place she once left. And to be whole again.
Peace.

No comments: