Tuesday 2 September 2008

Scriptology

First incursion into this whole blogging affair.
I mean, I've been around, dabbled into other peoples stuff but never really gave myself the time to start something of my own that I'd want to pursue.
So here I will keep a record of what's happening with my writtings which, at the moment, are keenly focussed on comics.

Today I'm playing around with two stories.

The first is called A VIEW OF THE MOUNTAIN: THE ROAD OF NO RETURN and it's the second part of a fable about a King that wants to force a Monk to become one of his advisors. After having learned his lesson, the King now sits besides this Monk, ready to begin his lessons. But just how far they will go the King hasn't got an inkling...

Right now I still don't know exactly how this whole story will pan out. Initially it was merely a fable like comic. But then, after a comment from Ricardo Cabral, more ideas started to come through and a continuation actually seemed to make some sense. Then, just yesterday, while talking with Luis, the whole thing seemed to turn into a three episodes thing. Each of them having a different tone to them.
I still don't know what I'm going to decide to do in the end but I'm kind of liking this idea of having the first story being told by the King (or the King's trusty advisor), the second by the Monk and the third by the King. Possibly all of them being told to the King's young son, about to take the mantle of his father. It was Luis that suggested this and it makes a whole lot of sense.
So, my plan is simple: first to organise this second arc - which is what I'm setting out to do today - and then to write out all of the extra stuff about the kindgom's social problems.
(the third instalment is more like an essay on the decline of empires and possible solutions than anything else...)

The second thing I'm juggling is another story that I've been wanting to finish for quite some time. It's called THE SHIFT and it tells the story of a girl called Shahidah that survived a missile attack during the Gulf War in Iraq. The story follows her through life up to present day where she still struggles to survive. The whole story aims at observing the human psyche strategies with the exertion of continuing pain. It's not an easy read but I think it raises important issues.
Namely that we can never really know what's inside somebody else's field of experience. And that sometimes losing one's mind is the best strategy for survival.

So today I'm also looking at the full script and filling in the blanks. There're a few pages only with dialogue and I hope either today or tomorrow I'll write in the panel descriptions and organise the pages a bit better. I'm still not completely satisfied with the structure but it'll do for now. I hope after I've re-read it all and typed in all the missing bits that the structure will become clearer.

Actually, thinking a bit more about A VIEW OF THE MOUNTAIN, I think that all the stories should definitely be told to the young King. One told by his father's most faithful advisor. Another told by his father and the last by the Monk himself.

No comments: